Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Rough work.

This mirror frame was a fast and rough build that only took a couple hours. I had the mirror sitting around for a long time without a frame and I got tired of having to move it when it got in the way.
The frame was a single old yellow pine plank with one end broken and one end clean. I ripped it lengthwise on the table saw and then chopped it into nearly equal lengths on the miter saw.

I ran a quarter inch rabbet groove around the inside and brought it together with pocket screws and a little glue.
I gave the frame a scrubbing with steel wool to deepen the unevenness in the grain and then a coat of stain. No finish on this one, I wanted it to look flat, like old barn wood.

I have another, much larger mirror to frame yet, that one will be a much more careful project.
I'm thinking maybe something sort of Arts & Crafts, a Green brothers look maybe. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment