Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Pantry.

I just about bit off more than I could chew with this one. Part of the Perpetual Ongoing Remodel is the kitchen. We needed more storage for dry goods and cans, so I decided to build a free standing pantry, like a large armoire.
Large in this case ended up being eight foot six inches tall, by four feet wide, by twenty two inches deep. I couldn't stand it upright in the shop, and I had to call my brother over to help get it into the house.

I don't know what it weighs, but I don't want to move it again.

It has five adjustable shelves inside, and is open all the way across. Nearly everything in the kitchen fit inside it with room to spare. The stain is an early American, with a satin finish. All the door panels have several coats of chalkboard paint on them for doodles and lists. The knobs are oak with a few coats of black enamel.

As you see it in this picture, the pantry isn't completely finished. I plan on building a second short cabinet that will bolt to the side of it and cross the top of the refrigerator to attach to the wall. Then I will add crown moulding and a single top to both pieces.

This, like the picture panel bookcase, was entirely new wood. I would like to do a pantry or cupboard in salvaged wood, but the right pieces haven't come along yet. I'm patient though, they'll show up eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment