Thursday, January 29, 2009

First Post, What this blog is about.


I've been building furniture for home and for sale for a few years now. My cousin Don visited us recently, and while I was showing him some of the new pieces, he made a comment to the effect that he was starting to see my specific style emerging.
I hadn't really considered that I had a "style" as such, but the more I thought about it, the more I saw he was right.
The choices I made in materials and shapes reflected the things I considered important, and not important, without my starting from a defined aesthetic.
The picture is a coffee table I built that I think of as "the Bigleg". The legs are cut from a 6x6 post that I salvaged from a pole building construction site. The top is made from joined 2x6s that used to be shelves in pallet racking. I always like to use salvaged or reclaimed wood whenever I can get it. It often has character from the dings, nail holes, checking, stains, and weathering it has sustained over time that conveys a sense of history that new things just don't have.
I use new materials when I need them, but I prefer to find a use for what I have, rather than go buy wood for a specific project.
I'm going to post pics of pieces from the shop here as part of my exploration of what my design choices mean in defining the style of what I build, and if a thing is shippable, I'll put a price on it should anyone want one.
Thanks for the thought provocation Don.

No comments:

Post a Comment